Wednesday, June 16, 2010

As You Like It - Fee Contextual Answers Act I Scene I



The Cobbe Portrait (1610), The Chandos Portrait (early 1600s) and the Droeshout Portrait (1622); three of the most prominent of the reputed portraits of William Shakespeare.

As You Like It Act I Scene I

Contextual Question (Courtesy-Xavier Pinto)

Oliver: Know you before whom, sir?

Orlando: Ay, better than him I am before knows me. I know you are
my eldest brother; and, in the gentle condition of blood, you
should so know me. The courtesy of nations allows you my
better, in that you are the first-born; but the same tradition
takes not away my blood, were there twenty brothers betwixt
us. I have as much of my father in me as you; albeit, I
confess, your coming before me is nearer to his reverence.

(i) Where are Oliver and Orlando? What have they been discussing just before the extract?

Oliver and Orlando are in the former’s orchard.
They have been having a duel of words between them. While Oliver was being rude and insolent to his younger brother, Orlando asked his wicked elder brother why he was treating him as if he were a spendthrift like the prodigal son in the Bible, to be reduced to this state of destitution.

(ii) Give the meaning of:

(a) Ay, better than him I am before knows me.

Yes, I realize that better than you realize who I am.

(b) your coming before me

You were born before me.

(iii) What is meant by the courtesy of nations? What does this courtesy allow Oliver?

This means the custom in most of the countries which acknowledges that an elder brother should be affectionate in his dealings with his younger brother and that the elder brother deserves respectful behaviour from his younger brother.
As Oliver was born before Orlando, Oliver is entitled to more of the respect that was due to their father.

(iv). What does his father’s will state, as far as Orlando is concerned?

The will of Orlando’s father bequeathed a thousand crowns to him and made him it a condition of his blessing to Oliver that he should bring Orlando up and educate him properly.

(v) State what happens after the extract.

Oliver strikes Orlando in a fit of temper when the latter holds him in a vicious grip. They exchange some heated words while Orlando keeps on gripping Oliver’s throat. Adam tries somewhat vainly to make peace between the two. Having forced his elder brother promise that he would pass on to him (Orlando) the small share of the property left to him by his father according to his will, he (Orlando) lets him (Oliver) go.

Please note this is a copyrighted material; any commercial use is strictly prohibited.


ICSE sample paper, free Shakespeare, as you like it explained, icse class ix answers, as you like it solved paper, free as you like it answers

No comments:

Post a Comment