Monday, June 21, 2010

Solved ICSE Language Paper



Post for Everyone

ICSE Language Solved Sample Paper

This sample paper is published in response to Shamik Banerjee’s request.

Rewrite the following sentences as instructed. The meaning of the sentence should be retained.

1. He is my creditor. (Use the word ‘debtor’)
I am his debtor.

2. I have not met him since 2005. (Do not use the year)
I have not met him for 5 years.

3. Solomon was the wisest of wisest of all mortal kings. (Comparative degree)
No other mortal king was wiser than Solomon.

4. She is not inimical to her husband. (Use ‘friendly’)
She is friendly to her husband.
5. But for my help he would not have succeeded. (Begin with Had)
Had I not helped him, he would not have succeeded.

6. I last met him five years ago. (Omit ago)
I have not met him for five years.

7. My father was in his sixtieth year when he died. (End: sixtieth year)
When my father died he was in his sixtieth year.

8. Hard as he tried, he failed to achieve his objective. (Use ‘though’)
Though he tried hard, he failed to achieve his objective.

9. Only he survived. (Begin ‘All’)
All died except him.

10. He is too mild to make a good Headmaster. (Omit ‘too’)
He is so mild that he can not make a good Headmaster.

11. Was her ring stolen? (Change the voice)
Did someone steal her ring?

12. If he had not acted rashly, he would not be suffering on that account. (Begin ’He’)
He would not be suffering on that account if he had not acted rashly.

B. Fill in the blanks with appropriate words.

1. His system of working is different from yours.

2. I congratulated him on his success.

3. The police will inquire into the matter.

4. The students quarrelled among themselves.

5. They have been with us for a long time.

6. Water is convertible into vapour.

7. The responsibility is on my shoulder.

8. He has many advantages over you.

9. At last I brought him round to my way of thinking.

10. His books bring in but a small income.

11. If she faints again, bring her round with smelling salts.

12. The matter was brought up in the council.

13. The horse broke away from the stables.

14. The Director easily bore down all oppositions.

15. The witness bore out the counsel’s statement.

16. We should all bear up the struggles of life without complaining.

17. The horse not being broken in, is dangerous to ride.

18. He broke off in the middle of speech as he was feeling thirsty.

19. He succeeded in breaking through all obstacles.

20. The party broke up at 1 O’clock in the small hours of the morning.

21. Looking down upon the poor is a sin.

22. The anti-dowry law could not be put into practice.

23. He was put out by the rough behaviour of his superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment